An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Covers electric scooter models whether shared or for consumers.
By Marius Petz
Chast wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:59 am
Hello.
With the ES400A version that has CAN, this is impossible.
First, the display module needs a hold signal every 2 minutes or so. If it doesn't get it, it goes out and you can't adjust the speed.
Secondly, the engine module needs a signal every 10 minutes or so. If it does not get it, it shows a decrease in battery capacity and stops driving.
Third, without the IOT module, there is no communication between the display module and the engine module. He is responsible for maintaining communication.
The situation you describe can be compared to a car and removing the computer. No matter what mode it is in, you won't go anywhere and speed indicators won't work.
I understand your logical approach. But trust me - I was able to drive the scooter without IoT and without any problems. I will try to remove the IoT again when the scooter is unlocked and try to make some photos or a video.
By Allmight
seriesbyte wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:18 pm
Hi English error

great battery, see photo :mrgreen:

Hi can you elaborate on this pictire ?
I've been trying to convert mine to a XT60 plug but cannot find any solution
,Thank you!
By Ennopto
Hi,
Chast wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:30 pm
I am looking for a frame that does not cut off the power.
Maybe you got the same issue like me, where under some stress while driving the power gets cutoff after some moment? I unfortunately didn't find a solution for that until something broke (either display or motor controller, now I cannot hack further sadly as in whole Germany the ES400 seems to be disused). Otherwise, the motor controller activates its power supply from the battery assumingly whenever the motor can messages are received by the motor controller by itself. Remember that the blue cable of the green connector needs to be connected to ground, so the motor / display can work at all anyway.

Edit: Also note, that for me when repeatedly sending also the third and forth (unknown) messages, which seems to be some request maybe for the battery the power will not be cut off after some time, in my case only when for example you are accelerating and braking at the same time. Note the message length of the fourth message is 0.
Chast wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:59 am
Third, without the IOT module, there is no communication between the display module and the engine module. He is responsible for maintaining communication.
The situation you describe can be compared to a car and removing the computer. No matter what mode it is in, you won't go anywhere and speed indicators won't work.
This certainly is not correct. Communication is still possible. Just neither of the modules get their configuration of the IoT module. That's why the display module shows the correct speed even without the IoT module. Just motor controller and display need to be activated on the CAN bus, and that certainly around every half a second, maybe longer but it actually doesn't matter as the bus is really free most of the time. I assume the unlocked scooter was in some weird buggy state, or there was some kind of a test firmware used in some of the modules. But in general I agree that without the IoT module, certainly the scooter will stop after half a minute at the latest or so.
By Chast
When activating the scooter to a speed of 20km/h (hex 0x14), a frame is definitely not sent.
If I set the speed to 0x14 and only send instructions to the display then I can drive for a very long time. I can't keep accelerating all the time. After about 5 mimuts, it throws error 18E. Just let go of the throttle and keep going. After about 30 minutes, I need to send an additional frame to fill the charge indicator.

When increasing the speed to 0x15, the battery is cut off after about 30 seconds.
I simulated all the logs from the active one and it didn't help.
Probably at speed 0x14 it is not needed and therefore the operator does not send it.

While driving, when you disconnect the IOT, the display goes off. The light is still on. The scooter continues to move at the speed last registered by the throttle. It cannot be increased or decreased. After a few minutes (about 5) the engine stops.
By Ennopto
Chast wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:29 pm
When increasing the speed to 0x15, the battery is cut off after about 30 seconds.
I simulated all the logs from the active one and it didn't help.
Probably at speed 0x14 it is not needed and therefore the operator does not send it.
Alright. Probably, there is another safety precaution then that limits the speed to 20 km/h inside the motor controller. Or as you say, another missing message on the bus. Try first to send all the messages repeatedly, because missing messages can also for sure lead to error displays.
By Marius Petz
Ennopto wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:43 am
I unfortunately didn't find a solution for that until something broke (either display or motor controller, now I cannot hack further sadly as in whole Germany the ES400 seems to be disused).
Currently there is an amount of es400 still in germany. Tier ist replacing the es400 with the ninebot g3 (special edition from segway for tier) so I guess in cities like berlin the es400 is still available. In smaller towns where smaller companies work, the es400 is still available (Version A and Version B). The CAN-Messages for es400A and es400B are the same.
By Chast
After a few days of fighting with the scooter, it works.
All you need is an arduino nano, mcp2515 and a 60v to 5v converter.
The arduino's job is to only send 29 frames.
Maximum speed 30km.

Now I will attach a bluetooth module to control driving and standbay mode
By MikeSnow
Chast wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:50 am
Maximum speed 30km.

If you have the possibility, could you sniff the communication between battery and the rest of the system? I would really want to know how to make the battery stay active so I can use it outside the scooter without open it up.
By johnydoey
MikeSnow wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:57 pm
Chast wrote:
Maximum speed 30km.

If you have the possibility, could you sniff the communication between battery and the rest of the system? I would really want to know how to make the battery stay active so I can use it outside the scooter without open it up.
I'm also very interested in activating the battery. Attached a picture to my knowledge... The connector is symmetric, so you could theoretically turn the battery 180°around. The power lines are black, red and one seems to be a charging + connection. The communication works through the pins I call X1, X2, X3. I guess one is only a "enabling pin" and 2 are communication pins. but I guess it is not can (CANH and CANL) but UART.
Hope it is helpful.
Last edited by johnydoey on Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By brightgloaming
Chast wrote:
Maximum speed 30km.

Hello, could you please share the code from your arduino nano?

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]