An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Enjoy the juice
Hi Everybody!

Help needed.

This is my first post. I just acquired a Lime Gen 3 EU, was going through the forum posts, and discovered that a Combox with V3 4_0_0 will cause problems. I discovered that the one I have also has said box, unfortunately. What are my options to get the scooter back running on the streets?

I bought a used 42v power adapter, but haven't plugged it into the scooter yet. Also bought ST-Link V2 (might be a clone, but not sure). Got stuck and discouraged in the first steps when I discovered the Combox version.

Guide me to all possible solutions. Thanks in advance.
Bug_meh wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:21 am
M20001 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:23 pm
I dont think you have a chance to be succesful with this, as far as I know, the conversion between greenbox and ESC is secured over challenge - response, google for it if you dont know what it is. the only way would be to reflash the combox with a firmware from a older one, but I dont know how to dump and then flash the firmware of the combox.

Ok, to recap (for people to follow) :

1. The unclocked firmware works only if the scooter has a combox with the version V2.3.0.0 not with version V2.4.0.0
2. We can't downgrade the combox version from V2.4.0.0 to V2.3.0.0 because we don't know how to dump/flash the combox.
3. We can't subsititue the combox V2.4.0.0 with something that will emulate the combox V2.3.0.0 (like an arduino) because cannot analyze the the communication between the combox and the controller, due to some Challenge-response authentication security measures.
4. The MCU is still flashable on newer version of the GEN 3(just add header pins yourself)

Ok, now here is another idea which might be more feasible...

What if we use the Blue Pill development board which seems to have the exact same MCU (STM32F103C8T6) as on the Lime Gen 3 Controller's board, to write a completely new firmware ?

I know that we don't have the schematics of the controller but, we can still reverse the PCB itself.

Here is how I see the thing :
1. We take a Breadboard, we put the Blue Pill in the middle.
2. We identify the circuits on the board that handle the motor, we replicate this circuit on the breadboard (using the exact same components). Making sure that we use the same pins one the dev-board's MCU as on the original MCU.
3. We implement this circuit on a brand new firmware. Once we are able to control the motor with the MCU. we can then skip to the next feature.
4. We then add the throttle support, again making sure that we use the same pins on the MCU.

At some point, we will probably also need to have more infos about the motor like the datasheet to make it spin trough software. Maybe not, I don't know if the motor is standard or not.

The goal here is to tackle to problem in a incremental manner, piece by piece, step by step, feature by feature.
We clone piece of the hardware, implement the logic in the firmware, then we move on to the next piece. Until we've replicated the hole controller.

We can then inject this new firmware into the original controller and if all goes well.... it should work ?

This way we can even get ride of the combox, and it will be a cross version working solution. no matter which version of the scooter is. Since all GEN 3 are flashable.

Do you think that could work ? Or should I stop dreaming ?
How do you explain this:

I have an old controller flashed with old firmware. the green box is replaced with ESP32 that sends the heartbeats to controller. the scooter worked for about 3 weeks. now it behaves like the new controller, old heartbeats ignored.

I̶ ̶f̶l̶a̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶m̶w̶a̶r̶e̶.̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶u̶n̶l̶o̶c̶k̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶t̶b̶e̶a̶t̶s̶.

T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶d̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶l̶o̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶c̶l̶u̶s̶i̶o̶n̶s̶:

1. t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶n̶d̶s̶h̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶m̶w̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶

2. t̶h̶e̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶b̶o̶x̶ ̶i̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶b̶o̶x̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶

3. t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶h̶a̶r̶d̶w̶a̶r̶e̶

t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶r̶o̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶r̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶m̶w̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶r̶.

edit: never mind. the issue with old controller was short-circuited data wires inside the long vertical handlebar.

the issue with new controller was a missing resistor on the pcb. I have soldered that resistor now everything works.
Last edited by alecxs on Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few i[…]

Hej Guys got my hands on this double battery pac[…]

As this was a rental version whos overstock was ev[…]

This last transistor needs to be soldered. https:[…]