An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Covers electric scooter models whether shared or for consumers.
So here it is - my (nearly) finished project - Lime conversion using extrenal motor controller.

Its not an easy project, it took me about 35h to make + 10h of preparation - disassembling this Lime, learning how everything works, planning etc...

It cost me overall about 25$. I dont know much about electronics, but taught myself something during this project. If you have some time, can solder and use basic tools, then you can do it too.

To make it rainproof and somewhat elegant, i put controller and wire joints in plastic electric can and painted everything matte black.

The most time took me guiding the wires through inside of the pipe, if you dont care about this, you dont mind wires hanging around the pipe, then your project can take half of the time. Also, I’m using old motherboard for charging the batteries, using original charger.

Its nearly finished, because i want to put voltometer under the dashboard glass and change this red dual switch to ignition lock. Also, looking for a way to connect a lamp.

Overall, it was totally worth it. I’m planning my second conversion with other model of scooter. If anyone need some help with this type of conversion - feel free to ask :)
Last edited by FirstJuicerInTown on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
FirstJuicerInTown wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:01 pm
So here it is - my (nearly) finished project - Lime conversion using extrenal motor controller.
Its not an easy project, it took me about 35h to make + 10h of preparation - disassembling this Lime, learning how everything works, planning etc...
It cost me overall about 25$. I dont know much about electronics, but taught myself something during this project. If you have some time, can solder and use basic tools, then you can do it too.
To make it rainproof and somewhat elegant, i put controller and wire joints in plastic electric can and painted everything matte black.
The most time took me guiding the wires through inside of the pipe, if you dont care about this, you dont mind wires hanging around the pipe, then your project can take half of the time.
Its nearly finished, because i want to put voltometer under the dashboard glass and change this red dual switch to ignition lock. Also, looking for a way to connect a lamp.

Overall, it was totally worth it. I’m planning my second conversion with other model of scooter. If anyone need some help with this type of conversion - feel free to ask :)
Your images aren’t working for me :(
I got my lamp and tail light to work using a spare 4.3v output on the board but can’t see if you have the same one or not
Jameskay wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:16 pm
FirstJuicerInTown wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:01 pm
The most time took me guiding the wires through inside of the pipe, if you dont care about this, you dont mind wires hanging around the pipe, then your project can take half of the time.

Your images aren’t working for me :(
I got my lamp and tail light to work using a spare 4.3v output on the board but can’t see if you have the same one or not
Fixed the images. I tried to connect it to about 5v, but it seems like its too low voltage for my front lamp, the light is nearly visible. It needs about 12v.
kapranos wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 am
It looks amazing! i wanna do the same but i have some questions.

Charger port is functional?
external battery works too?
original throttle and brake works right?

can you provide some schematic of the connections?

thanks a lot
Charger port and external battery works normally.
Original throttle works, brake does not work - this controller doesn’t support it.

I know its poor scheme. Batteries are connected to old motherboard by original joints, so i can charge them both through it. But energy is taken indepedently, directly from connectors on motherboard. Also, i dont want to connect booth batteries, so you see double switch on the scheme - firstly i use 1 battery, when its used out i switch to the second one.
FirstJuicerInTown wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 pm
kapranos wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 am
It looks amazing! i wanna do the same but i have some questions.

Charger port is functional?
external battery works too?
original throttle and brake works right?

can you provide some schematic of the connections?

thanks a lot
Charger port and external battery works normally.
Original throttle works, brake does not work - this controller doesn’t support it.

I know its poor scheme. Batteries are connected to old motherboard by original joints, so i can charge them both through it. But energy is taken indepedently, directly from connectors on motherboard. Also, i dont want to connect booth batteries, so you see double switch on the scheme - firstly i use 1 battery, when its used out i switch to the second one.
Nice job! Im looking at doing this too, just got my bldc controller!
If you would compare your setup to a normal lime/bird es2 with extra battery do you get the same torque uphill etc with your battery setup?
BIRD ZERO ELECTISAN F350

Hey people, I'm having problems with my Bird Zero […]

I can't seem to find any info anywhere online […]

LIME 3.GEN PERSONAL.....

For the battery indicator, it worked before. The[…]

How much could you pull max?