An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Discuss the Segway Ninebot ES and Ninebot Max Kick Scooter in this Forum. Topics include the Segway-Ninebot app, hardware, street riding, etc.
By DavieBoiii
Jawhett1 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
[quote=DavieBoiii
Well, yellow is connected to the light, and the blue and green are connected to the brakes and accelerator. I I think they keep that consistent. For instance the gps module has all of these wires going in because it needs control of each of these functions. not exactly sure what the role of the white wire is, but that is also connected to the light.
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply.
OK, so I was thinking it must be possible hot wiring thru the GPS cable connection. I think when unlock code Is sent to scooter. The gps module allows current to pass thru to all components. Maybe if all 5 cables is into 1. There will be current and it will be hot wired that way maybe.

Maybe the white is positive. And has to go to the rest 4 cables to unlock. Thinking that GPS opens up with code sent to it. And then allows current to pass thru to all components in scooter?
By Jawhett1
Harry Bollsack wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:16 pm
LAXscooter wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:06 pm
Is this the same for ES4 ?
It works.But the dash doesn't light up. Just turns it on and off. (probably because it might not be the exact replacement model)
Did you ever get the dashboard to work? I'm dealing with the same thing
By Aggelos
humanbeing21 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:31 pm
For those of you needing to activate an original control board I received these instructions from the seller.
Hi friend,

This item need activat it,please follow the steps:
1.take off the old control,and install the new control on the scooter
2.use our account ID (The account number is: 奔跑吧·兄弟,the password

is:1q2w3e4r5t) and go to set and contact the scooter
3.change the serial number and save,confirm
4.after confirm,quit out and restar,then,it's activation

Hope this can help you

Regards

Candy
Hi,

Thanks for informations.
I received to these instructions from my seller, but when i want to connect to segway app, it say that the account doe's not exist.
is Anyone can confirm that this account is work ?
I'm from France.

Thanks
By DavieBoiii
I tried bypass thru tracker cable. But with no luck. From tracker there is 3 cables. Black=negative, red= positive and orange is signal cable for unöuck code or something. Not sure how it operates really. Maybe they send code thru tracker to main dashboard to unlock.

I tried hot wire by putting red and orange together. But no response. So probably new dash is only way.
But there must be a way to Virginise and reflash main dashboard?
By Tonda
My experience with Lime (in Europe) Scooter ES4:
There is external track/lock/alarm box with 4G modem and GPS. There is also bluetooth chip, but seems not to be active. This unit is connected to the controll unit and ESC in the body of the scooter.

While scooter is on, no bluetooth is active.
After i swapped dashboard to the brand new and never used ES4 dashboard, bluetooth is available and scooter can be paired to app, however, app show some error and it is not possible to unlock the unit. It is possible to change the light mode and color, see serial number, battery charge and so. Dashboard also displays error codes on display and shows that scooter is locked.
Firmware update is not available due to current firmware version being way too high.

Main controll board is not the same as stock ES4, there is extra connector for that external box. Otherwise its same. External battery fro Line scooter was not accepted by stock scooter.

Since all modules (dashboard, in platform, external one) using same king of 4-5 pin connector, I guess they comunicating with each other over some kind of serial protocol. I even managed to connect computer to the dashboard connector and was able to received some data, however, nothing that i would understand (I am not expert). There was clearly visible pattern in the data, like controller is sending error code, battery status, etc to the dashboard in regular interval and (original) dashboard then provedes that data in app or on display. Oscilloscope is probably requred to identify protocol and baudrate.

I guess, that external module also talks to the main controller over serial and there will be some unlock sequence. That would be the way to hack scooter without replacing anything.

I guess, that another way to get ES4 working would be replacing controll board and dashboard by the stock one.

On the control board, there is also only one MCU so it may be possible to flash it with stock firmware, but someone would have to get stock firmware first and I am sure, that MCUs are read protected.

Since MCU seems to be available on market, it may be possible to replace locked MCU with new MCU with customer/hacked/unlocked firmware. It would be necessary to reverse engineer main part of the board - ESC controller for the motor and then write code to drive it.

btw, someone mentione that Bluetooth module is deactivated by missing cap C15 on dashboard. I cant confirm that, cap is there.
By Tristles
Hey! Trying to convert a Lime/Bird ES4 (Don't know which share service it was exactly, bought it second hand and realized that it was from one these companies afterwards.) It does have the official Segway Ninebot logo on it, with no outside branding. I found a comment on these forums posted with the login for an admin account, logged in, and went to change the serial number but got an error saying:
" The current vehicle serial No. is not the factory serial No., modification is not allowed. "

All I replaced was the dashboard from one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZ ... UTF8&psc=1 (The original that came with the scooter had no bluetooth). Also, since installing the new dashboard, I'm getting an issue where the speed is lowered to 12mph when the headlight is on and 16mph when the headlight is off. Side note; On the old and new dashboard, I am unable to change the mode by double-tapping the button.

When connecting via android, I'm not prompted to update the firmware, but when connecting with an iPhone, it states there is a FW update but the update fails.

Any help would be super appreciated. I bought this without any knowledge of the E-Scooter world and I'm in way over my head.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again.
By DavieBoiii
Tonda wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:26 pm
My experience with Lime (in Europe) Scooter ES4:
There is external track/lock/alarm box with 4G modem and GPS. There is also bluetooth chip, but seems not to be active. This unit is connected to the controll unit and ESC in the body of the scooter.

While scooter is on, no bluetooth is active.
After i swapped dashboard to the brand new and never used ES4 dashboard, bluetooth is available and scooter can be paired to app, however, app show some error and it is not possible to unlock the unit. It is possible to change the light mode and color, see serial number, battery charge and so. Dashboard also displays error codes on display and shows that scooter is locked.
Firmware update is not available due to current firmware version being way too high.

Main controll board is not the same as stock ES4, there is extra connector for that external box. Otherwise its same. External battery fro Line scooter was not accepted by stock scooter.

Since all modules (dashboard, in platform, external one) using same king of 4-5 pin connector, I guess they comunicating with each other over some kind of serial protocol. I even managed to connect computer to the dashboard connector and was able to received some data, however, nothing that i would understand (I am not expert). There was clearly visible pattern in the data, like controller is sending error code, battery status, etc to the dashboard in regular interval and (original) dashboard then provedes that data in app or on display. Oscilloscope is probably requred to identify protocol and baudrate.

I guess, that external module also talks to the main controller over serial and there will be some unlock sequence. That would be the way to hack scooter without replacing anything.

I guess, that another way to get ES4 working would be replacing controll board and dashboard by the stock one.

On the control board, there is also only one MCU so it may be possible to flash it with stock firmware, but someone would have to get stock firmware first and I am sure, that MCUs are read protected.

Since MCU seems to be available on market, it may be possible to replace locked MCU with new MCU with customer/hacked/unlocked firmware. It would be necessary to reverse engineer main part of the board - ESC controller for the motor and then write code to drive it.

btw, someone mentione that Bluetooth module is deactivated by missing cap C15 on dashboard. I cant confirm that, cap is there.
Thank you for your outstanding answer. I have the same one you are talking about. But on mine the Bluetooth is active and displaying company's name.

I think when you scan the scooter you must have active Bluetooth and GPS for unlocking.
Maybe when you scan the scooter, the phone sends thru WiFi to server. Server then sends unlucky code allowing phone connect to scooter to Bluetooth thru app. And it is active open as long as the phone is still connected to it thru Bluetooth. When Bluetooth is closed it automatically locks itself again guessing.

So there is probably a serial code sent from tracker to dashboard and maybe controller for unlocking.

But what if you put a new empty simcard inside and then try starting it.

Or maybe if you put simcard in phone. Then request scooter unlock. Then sms will come to the phone displaying unlock code. And then use new simcard that you send same text to for unlocking?

However I will buy dash and controller and see what will be needed for it to work. Takes long time for arriving.

OK so using original parts seems almost impossible. I don't know how to reprogram chip for driving. But maybe someone know further on. This models are so new there is not much about it yet.

If there is any description about what the blinking lights mean on controller board please link it. I only find about error code numbers. But nothing about blinking pattern.
By Tonda
I think there are two LEDs on the control board. One of them is signaling errors, same ways as beeper does (blinks in sync with beeper on dashboard). If error codes are not displayed on 7-segment display on the dashboard, firmware upgrade for dashboard is probably required - I was offered firmware update for stock dash, which had this feature listed.

I had stock ES4/ES2 (without external battery) available only for a day and since I had to return it to the store, I could not completely disassemble it.
However, stock scooter did not accepted external battery (don't know about internal one) due to serial number. So controller board replacement may not be a viable option to get it working, since batteries are the most expensive parts. Just dashboard and controller board would cost over 100 bucks to replace. If you also have to use different batteries, project does not make much sense - with stock controllers.

For me, it does not make much sense to replace all electronics with stock one. There will be due to serial numbers of Lime/Bird parts. Each module, including batteries, seems to have its serial number.

Only hacking individual chips or replacing those chips with custom, unlocked ones, makes sense for me. Or hacking internal communication between modules. Or hacked app. Or middle man between original app and scooter.

Control board is featuring very compact and powerful ESC, so its a real waste to throw it away and buy the same one, just with different firmware. It should be possible to hook up any Microcontroller, maybe Arduino, to drive the ESC part of board only.

On page 2 (I think) you can find project where control board and dash and control elements on handle bar are replaced by custom ones from china, for like 20 bucks. This is good way to go - replace all proprietary overpriced locked crap and put new one instead.
However:
ES4 has 600W motor as far as I know, so powerful ESC with true 600W of power (not just on paper) may be expensive. Then, you also need to charge batteries somehow and it does not fit inside the scooter anymore.
By DavieBoiii
I agree that the only reasonable thing is if you could use the original dash and controlboard. They are quite expensive. Hopefully some knowledgeable hacker could come around this and posting the method.

I think the best way is to connecting to computer and edit the protocol. Then it is just plug and play

I did not know the battery also had serial number. I have 2 external batteries dismounted from the original one.

One of them refuses to charge. It starts charging then stops. Starts and stop and continuing like that.

Other one charges just fine.

Don't know what happened to the first one. But both are in functional order.

The same thing happens when I try to charge the stove battery that is inside frame. After I disconnected it and reconnected it to control board. It refuses to charge anymore. Just start and stop. But before I disconnected it worked fine.

It would be odd if battery is just locked to one scooter. Then how could you buy new ones on ebay and match them up?

I will try stock dashboard and then also controller board to get it running. After I will look to alternative methods. Like buying a different brand ESC controller.

There must be a easier way fooling the system.
By Tonda
Lime/Bird/custom scooters have different firmware in dashboard and in control board. I dont know about other modules. All modules have serial number and I am sure, they can tell, if part was made for stock scooter or for custom one. Stock controller may not accept custom modules, as it does with bateries, and custom controller may not accept stock parts. It accepts stock dashboard, but it does not really mean much.

What works now may stop working with firmware/segway app update any time.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]