An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Discuss the Segway Ninebot ES and Ninebot Max Kick Scooter in this Forum. Topics include the Segway-Ninebot app, hardware, street riding, etc.
By MarcusRab
I can confirm that the steps the OP outlines do in fact work.

Done on an ES2.

I cant figure out how to get the speed limiter to turn off... it peaks at 12MPH instead of the advertised 15mph. Other than that, Everything works well. Had some initial troubles with the unit sporadically turning off but went back in and re-connected all the connections and it seemed to work. Headlight doesn't have a screw so it falls out, duct tape took care of that.

Great write up and thanks for the heads up on this!!!!!!!!!

I was able to connect to Bluetooth and re-name the scooter as well. It took a firmware update as soon as I connected it.
By humanbeing21
For those of you needing to activate an original control board I received these instructions from the seller.
Hi friend,

This item need activat it,please follow the steps:
1.take off the old control,and install the new control on the scooter
2.use our account ID (The account number is: 奔跑吧·兄弟,the password

is:1q2w3e4r5t) and go to set and contact the scooter
3.change the serial number and save,confirm
4.after confirm,quit out and restar,then,it's activation

Hope this can help you

Regards

Candy
By Lilkwazy2
Greetings all,
First post here:
Is the controller on Ninebot-Segway scooters more than just a speed control like on the xiaomi M365? I'm starting to get confused after reading from different sources including this one about modifying the S/N of the controller. Now I see that some people have successfully taken some police auctioned ES2's offline by swapping out just the dashboard albeit with some issues connecting to Bluetooth so my question is, when is it necessary to swap the controller as well & why unless it's just a speed control like on the M365. Do the ES models authenticate using both the controller and dashboard & have more security than the M365?

If an ES2 has a dashboard on it but no bird brain, what component is locking it up? Is it still the dashboard that needs to be swapped even though it looks exactly the same as the ones you guys have bought from China?
By humanbeing21
Welcome @Lilkwazy2 !

I successfully hacked a Bird ES2 with a brain on it by removing the brain and installing the stock dash.

Take below with a grain of salt as it’s just speculation...

The controller is likely keeping brain free ES2s on Bird’s platform. Replacing or reflashing this device should make the scooter operational outside of Bird’s system.
By MarcusRab
I had a couple notes regarding the process..

Disassembling the bird-brain isn't necessary to complete this process. You can if you want to, but for the quickest bird --> personal recovery.. removing the 4 side screws holding the handebar together (see pics) and then removing the brain, in tact, then replacing with the linked dashboard is the quickest method, that i've found.

These are the screws that you need to remove to disconnect the handlebars..

Once the handlebars are disconnected, you can unscrew the cover plate screws, disconnect the headlight, then remove the other 2 screws holding the bird brain \ dashboard in place.

From there you can install your own dash and go on your way!!

Other side note, I've found that sometimes you are asked to do a firmware upgrade when you connect to the bluetooth... In my experience .. the firmware update limits the speed of the es2\es4 to 12\13 MPH... However, NOT upgrading does not allow for the scooter to be turned off via the power button nor does it allow for any function of the headlight.

Typically, you can click the power button once and the headlight comes on, click it again and the headlight turns off.. I may be wrong and my experience may be isolated, but I just experienced this by not upgrading the firmware.. The scooter is just permanently ON, with the flashing lights below the deck and the power button essentially does nothing. You cant control the headlight or turn the scooter off. On my other scooter, I did the upgrade and holding the power button in turns the scooter off.. tapping the power button once turns the headlight on or off, but limits the speed to 12\13mph.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks so so much to @humanbeing21 for the original hack and for getting this all started!! ALL praise goes to him!!

Thanks all.
By bikeaddiction
humanbeing21 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:40 pm
Tools Needed for the Hack

You will need security bits to take the scooter apart and linked here are the tools I used.
Harbor Freight sells an entire 100 pc security bit set for $9 with everything you'll ever need to crack open any scooter
By MarcusRab
bikeaddiction wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:15 am
humanbeing21 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:40 pm
Tools Needed for the Hack

You will need security bits to take the scooter apart and linked here are the tools I used.
Harbor Freight sells an entire 100 pc security bit set for $9 with everything you'll ever need to crack open any scooter
Yeah I meant to also say in the previous post that the ORIA Screwdriver Set isnt needed .. The bits in the ARES security bit set (or the harbor freight one posted here) will be all you need. With the ARES bit set, you do need a driver that is capable of accepting the various bits. The ORIA screwdriver set's driver does not accept the ARES bits, FYI.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]