An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Covers electric scooter models whether shared or for consumers.
hi I found this article from mrgooglegeek :P , it seems feasible but I do not have an LIME SJ2.5 to test this method
so if a person wants to try it's christmas before time

The method of converting the scooter is to replace the android device with either a Bluetooth adapter, or a micro controller (Arduino)
The Lime SJ2.5 is the most common lime scooter. They are slowly being phased out for the Lime SJ3. The SJ2.5 is speed capped at 15.5 MPH. It uses a front hub motor and rear drum brake.
The scooter is controlled using an android based device located in the green box mounted below the handlebars on the front of the scooter. This device is connected to the scooter over UART (serial). There is a sim card in the device that can be used for data in any device, though these are sometimes deactivated by lime.
The method of converting the scooter is to replace the android device with either a Bluetooth serial adapter, or a microcontroller (Arduino). The Bluetooth adapter method is easier, but relies on a separate device to turn the scooter on and off (phone). This guide will focus on the bluetooth method.
REQUIRED:
Legally obtained Lime sj2.5
jumper wires, solder
Bluetooth adapter (HC-05 or similar Bluetooth SPP device)
Torx Security Bits
A brain

Steps:
1. Take apart the green box. It is held onto the scooter with several torx bolts. The box itself is held closed with several phillips screws that are hidden behind hot glue. These are annoying to remove. The main board inside the box can be removed, but the smaller power supply board should be left, as it is used to power the Bluetooth adapter.
2. Wire in the Bluetooth adapter. The box was plugged into the scooter with a round connector. inside the box, the wires from this cable are exposed. There is a red wire, a blue wire, a green wire, a yellow wire, and a ground (black). The red wire supplies 36v to the power supply board. The blue wire needs some voltage (~5v, works with 3.3v but avoid using 36v) to enable the scooter. This can be switched or not, as the scooter does not consume large amounts of power when idling with the motor/screen off. The red wire and ground should be left intact to supply power to the power supply. The Yellow and Green Wires are serial RX and TX, however different revisions of the scooter have the colors swapped. You must use trial and error to determine which one is which. Connect your bluetooth adapter to the serial wires, and supply it with power using the separate output from the power supply board. The red wire is 4v and there are two grounds (black) which are common when the connector is in place but are not connected elsewhere, so if you encounter power issues or serial issues, try switching from one ground to the other.
3. Now for the fun part: serial commands! You will need a device with an app to interface with the scooter. Searching the iOS app store or Google Play store for "Bluetooth SPP" will yield many results which do the same thing. You need to send a HEX command over SPP. Different apps will handle this differently, however most allow you to simply type the hex code as one long string. Below is a list of important hex codes:
464316610001F1F28F This code enables the scooter
464316610001F0E2AE This code disables the scooter
4. send these commands through the app. That's pretty much it, just pack up the green box and reconnect it.

Hello to everyone, i've got a lime sj2.5, i followed everything and i got the comunication running between my pc with realterm and the scooter controller, the controller spit the data on the serial monitor but seems that i'm not able to send anything to it. no screen turns on, nothing. Can someone help me ? i do not know what i'm doing wrong.

In the attachment you will find a serial dump of everything and in the image the way i've wrote the string

Thank you so much
Attachments
(268 Bytes) Downloaded 454 times
I also have the "new software" sticker on the green box, but the scooter unlocks well.
The firware revision is ......20190828.........In this forum there are firmwares dated July 2019 and November 2019 that are also well responding. It would be really a recent change if this was due to a new update.
Command to see firmware is : 46 43 16 14 00 00 00 C0 B0
The firmware version will be displayed in ascii characters on the terminal (among the rolling other data). I had it captured in a file to prevent it to be overidden by incomming packets.
By the way:
Command to switch on the light: 46 43 16 12 00 01 F1 2B 26
Commande to switch off the light: 46 43 16 12 00 01 F0 3B 07

I
Last edited by luclaurent on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
luclaurent wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:08 pm
I also have the "new software" sticker on the green box, but the scooter unlocks well.
The firware revision is ......20190828.........In this forum there are firmwares dated July 2019 and November 2019 that are also well responding. It would be really a recent change if this was due to a new update.

Command to see firmware is : 46 43 16 14 00 00 00 C0 B0
The firmware version will be displayed in ascii characters on the terminal (among the rolling other data). I had it captured in a file to prevent it to be overidden by incomming packets.

Command to switch on the light:

I
From what I know at the moment in 2019 11 16 FW enable command length has changed from 1byte to 3bytes. Not sure about the content of that command... Need a "live" sample to figure that out
I've sent @ZipperZ some material so maybe he could have a look at that.
I also i have a question, maybe someone know the pinout of the "programming connector" that is present on the controller of the sj2.5 I want to try to dump the but i do not know the pinout maybe it uses a standard connection like SWDIO SWCLK and so on. Please if someone have this kind of information share with us the pinout.
Hello!

I was able to make an older firmware motor controller I had work without issue, but the (I assume)newer one I acquired from our local auction will not respond to these equivalent codes. I am not even able to read out the firmware like I used to. This is why I suspect the firmware is new. I do not have "new firmware" on the green box, but I do have a sticker that says "LE control," with a matching sticker on the underside of the brake. I am using the previously mentioned code for readout of the firmware.

It seems that the scooter is just spitting out repeating hex as expected but I can't for the life of me figure out why writing (or the previously working codes) aren't working. I know the new hex codes were being worked on (and I would love to help but am not versed in making JAVA work over a windows 10 SPP program.)

If anybody has any tips or pointers in the right direction, I would love the help. Im banging my head against the wall over this newer firmware.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]