An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Micro mobility projects built using electric scooter components.
By form.engineering
Hello Everyone,

I'm new at scootertalk.org, glad to be here. I'm thinking about designing a new scooter for the electric scooter retail market. I want to do a survey of opinions on scooter features. Below I've listed a few questions and hope to have some interesting responses.

First, a little bit about myself. I'm an American industrial designer and product developer that has worked in China for 12 years bringing products to market for big international brands and small startups. I have over a year and a half experience in the hardware side of the shared micro-mobility industry.

I think for micro-mobility to have a lasting impact we need better product solutions and to date, all solutions are built off of an old paradigm and need to change. Answers to the following questions will help shape new innovations in micro-mobility.

1) If an electric scooter was able to be made compact and lightweight would you consider carrying it with you as part of your everyday devices?

2) If an electric scooter was able to be made compact and lightweight would you be more inclined to take the bus or metro using it to get to the station and onwards to your final destination?

3) If an electric scooter was able to be made compact and lightweight what per cent of your weekly car trips would be eliminated?

4) Many scooters go faster than what is necessary for urban commuting. In an urban environment, what speed would you not exceed and what would you say your average speed is?

5) What safety features do you feel are currently missing from electric scooters and would you use a turn signal if your scooter had this feature.

6) Would you prefer to have a large battery and not be able to take your scooter on a plane or given the option would you choose to have a scooter with 2 36v 4Ah batteries that can be taken carry on.

7) Have you ridden a scooter with two rear wheels before and did you like it more than two wheels?

Thanks in advance for your replies and looking forward to furthering discussion!
By Sc00tr
Scooters are banned as is on my metro... no matter how light and compact they are :(

As far as speed my issue is more that going down hills and stuff I don’t want to be limited at 15mph for example but at the same time I’ve seen people ride the birds downtown at like 10mph and still act like idiots.
By michi_gecko
Jumping into the scooter market at this time is very brave.

What do you mean with lightweight? For me under 25kg.

1) If an electric scooter was able to be made compact and lightweight would you consider carrying it with you as part of your everyday devices?
No. I wouldnt carry it around like my phone. Maybe this doesnt apply to me.

2) If an electric scooter was able to be made compact and lightweight would you be more inclined to take the bus or metro using it to get to the station and onwards to your final destination?
I already use my scooter for the "last mile" from and to the train station, because there is no proper bus connecting.

3) If an electric scooter was able to be made compact and lightweight what per cent of your weekly car trips would be eliminated?
I would say 70-80% by now, just sold my car in December, and have not used it since May.

4) Many scooters go faster than what is necessary for urban commuting. In an urban environment, what speed would you not exceed and what would you say your average speed is?
25kmh is fast enough. for rental scooters max. 20kmh

5) What safety features do you feel are currently missing from electric scooters and would you use a turn signal if your scooter had this feature.
turn signals!

6) Would you prefer to have a large battery and not be able to take your scooter on a plane or given the option would you choose to have a scooter with 2 36v 4Ah batteries that can be taken carry on.
4Ah wouldnt get me anywhere. A 4Ah battery would not supply enough current for going slightly uphill.
I would rather look for 43V and 20Ah

7) Have you ridden a scooter with two rear wheels before and did you like it more than two wheels?
no. I would rather prefer two front wheels for stabilty reasons.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]