An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Discuss the Segway Ninebot ES and Ninebot Max Kick Scooter in this Forum. Topics include the Segway-Ninebot app, hardware, street riding, etc.
Hey, I wanted to inquire as to recommendations for how to go about installing a second motor to my ES2 or ES4 Ninebot. I have a second ES2, so basically double of everything, except another extended battery.

My plan is to put the front wheel of the ES2 on my rear wheel of the ES4. Can I connect a second motor in parallel with the front wheel, or basically wire it in just like the front to both the control board, throttle and battery? Assuming yes, will the control board support the amp draw from 2 motors?

Plan B would be to install a 2nd control board to the ES4 (from the ES2). If this is what I need to do... can I have 2 boards connected to the same power supply on the ES4, and can I use the same throttle? Or will I need to have a throttle for each of them?

I'd like to do this using parts from the ES2, vs ordering additional aftermarket items.

Seems pretty straight forward more or less, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Daly
It won’t work with 1 control board, if you connect it like this both motors will have low power and will likely run uneven. You can use single battery, but you will have very short range and battery will loose its capacity pretty fast. So basically the only single thing for both you can have with good results is a throttle. Look for a thread on how to connect it.
FirstJuicerInTown wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:33 pm
It won’t work with 1 control board, if you connect it like this both motors will have low power and will likely run uneven. You can use single battery, but you will have very short range and battery will loose its capacity pretty fast. So basically the only single thing for both you can have with good results is a throttle. Look for a thread on how to connect it.
So you are saying that even with the ES4's external battery the demands of a second motor would not be mitigated much by the extra watt hours provided by it? Would the range be halved, or are we talking more along the lines of 25% of the estimated range of an Ninebot ES4?
dalyjc wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:39 am
Hey thank you for the link. I was kinda hoping I would be able to keep the look of the ES4 the same. Not sure the dual drive option would be worth all the added bulk, not that it doesn't look fun.
no other way going to work its going add 5-10pounds to the scooter you dont even have to add 2 externals only 1 and charge the second battery reg
What's your objective? What are you looking to achieve? I personally think that it's a horrible idea especially for the ninebot, that has no under deck capacity and was purposely designed to be modular, portable and lightweight. If I were to do a personal dual motor build I would want to keep it simple and uniform as possible. I would start by getting ahold of a purpose built 2 channel controller, like a vesc dual 6.6 or two individual controllers and run one slaved to the other which is the right way to do it and the right way is rarely cheap. Being said now that you know expense is incurred does the goal what you could possibly achieve outweigh the cost? I say nay but if you are still game and want to hear more you should look up existing dual wheel drive scooters and look at their cost and some of the features. Most of them are just gimmick and rarely run both motors all of the time. They typically will have a speed mode and an eco mode which I can already tell you that those don't run dual mode. The next thing to consider is torque vectoring. with all-wheel drive you're basically damned if you do and damned if you don't without some sort of limited slip which I can assure you you won't find at any cost. Much better to utilize what's available and pick a goal that's realistic in the fact that it increases the performance rather than at best keeps performance the same and doubles the weight. Anybody who's ever raced on a budget will tell you that weight savings is the best thing for the buck and you will be going the other way. Sorry to sound so negative but I just don't understand the hype behind this It's obviously not the first time I've heard it.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]