An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Micro mobility projects built using electric scooter components.
By NOMAD388
Hey guys,

Picked up a handful of ex bird scooters. One of them had a bent frame so I decided to use it as a donor. Used the parts for a cool little project I thought you guys might be interested in:

As you can see, I have two sets of batteries, controllers, throttles, and of course TWO MOTORS! Way more torque by comparison, but as of right now I'm still stuck at around 17mph top speed until I get the external packs, it's also significantly heavier as you can imagine. Regenerative braking is awesome, this thing stops on a dime, the rear motor makes a world of difference. I'm pretty sure my range has been extended as well depending on how I use it.

The most difficult thing was probably extending the wiring from the rear motor to the secondary controller. Cutting out the rear of the base frame was easy enough, all I had to do was grind a couple slits to slide the motor in and bolt it down. 3D printed the mounts/ cupholder and painted it to my liking. Used a ribbed rubber boot to hide my wires and flex at the bottom too.

So a few reasons I went this route. Having two shafts up front is much simpler than hacking into the base to fit the second battery and controller at the bottom. It made it very easy to hook up the throttles and turn the unit on/off. It would have required a lot more cutting + wire work if I didn't do it this way. I thought about joining the two sets of throttles together, but it doesn't bother me at all, I feel it gives me better control.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you want to do it yourself I'm more than willing to share my resources.

Thanks.
By Ben J
Very cool duplex drive..
I like the pneumatic tyres. I’m working on fitting ES (and its aux battery) mast onto my M365. Might then go for dual motors too.
By 365GUY
I just finished my dual motor M365 project and it’s so worth it. Really was very simple and only took a few evenings and the end result actually looks pretty good considering I didn’t have any custom parts made. I will post some pictures once I get my plastic stuff bolted on.
By NOMAD388
@FirstJuicerInTown Yes all I had to replace was the dashboard to get the Bluetooth working, Let's me change led color, lock, etc. It doesn't let me push firmware though it's locked at 5.0.5.
By Keelan Matthews
To me it looked like a simple "oh just add a battery and a motor and link them" but I see you completely added a second scooter onto this. Some things in my opinion are unnecessary such as 2 brakes and 2 throttles but I get the idea like if you just want one motor working at a time or less harsh braking still if it was me I'd just add a 3 way switch for front back and both. Still looks good!
By Ben J
if it was me I'd just add a 3 way switch for front back and both. Still looks good
That would work with this dual drive example, But will have problems.
Firstly, If a motor is not powered, It provides resistance to turning due to its magnets cogging to its stator poles. Its not alot of resistance, but its more than freewheeling on bearings.
Next, Unless its batteries is combined to a single battery, As one wheel is driving, The other battery is not being discharged. Then when combined, the motors may be operating at different power levels. The higher motor then trying to move the rider load and force the low motor to turn faster than its slip.
By pparres
I just put a second m365 motor on the rear of one of my projects. Ran the wires all together. 1 brake, 1 throttle, 1 controller board and 1 battery pack. When I powered on everything seems fine. Except that the motors are locked and I cant connect to the app. Any recomendations?
By NOMAD388
The current draw could be too high for a single controller and battery to handle. This is the main reason I kept them separate, I wasn't sure if the singular controller could handle it.
By pparres
I got it running, thing goes pretty smooth when it's off the ground. When I set.it down to ride,it gets jerky and loud. Like something is wrong all of a sudden. Then it shuts off and comes back on stuck in eco mode

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]