I'm new at scootertalk.org, glad to be here. I'm thinking about designing a new scooter for the electric scooter retail market. I want to do a survey of opinions on scooter features. Below I've listed a few questions and hope to have some interesting responses.
First, a little bit about myself. I'm an American industrial designer and product developer that has worked in China for 12 years bringing products to market for big international brands and small startups. I have over a year and a half experience in the hardware side of the shared micro-mobility industry.
I think for micro-mobility to have a lasting impact we need better product solutions and to date, all solutions are built off of an old paradigm and need to change. Answers to the following questions will help shape new innovations in micro-mobility.
1) If an electric scooter was able to be made compact and lightweight would you consider carrying it with you as part of your everyday devices?
2) If an electric scooter was able to be made compact and lightweight would you be more inclined to take the bus or metro using it to get to the station and onwards to your final destination?
3) If an electric scooter was able to be made compact and lightweight what per cent of your weekly car trips would be eliminated?
4) Many scooters go faster than what is necessary for urban commuting. In an urban environment, what speed would you not exceed and what would you say your average speed is?
5) What safety features do you feel are currently missing from electric scooters and would you use a turn signal if your scooter had this feature.
6) Would you prefer to have a large battery and not be able to take your scooter on a plane or given the option would you choose to have a scooter with 2 36v 4Ah batteries that can be taken carry on.
7) Have you ridden a scooter with two rear wheels before and did you like it more than two wheels?
Thanks in advance for your replies and looking forward to furthering discussion!