An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Covers electric scooter models whether shared or for consumers.
I've tried a few modules from Amazon and ended up giving up on the LM2596. All of the ones that I found were either rated to 25v or 40v. The one that I tried that was rated for 48v looked exactly like the one for 40v. Every single component was the same. I went back to the Amazon page and there in the fine print, 'max long working volts 40v.' Anything over 2 minutes seems to be considered a long time.

In any case, I've tried two versions of a different type of converter. They're sealed in epoxy, automotive grade and they both have worked great. I've found them both on Amazon, one is cheap but takes forever to arrive. The other is prime shipped but is 4x the price at $12. Both performed with out any thermal excess at all, cool to the touch even after 20-40 minute ride.

12 of Windwinevine Waterproof 7-50V to 5V 2A Micro USB Converter Regulator Step Down Car Power Short Circuit Protection Self-Recovery
$3.79 - 2-4 week ship time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082B ... UTF8&psc=1

SMAKN® DC/DC Converter 12V/24V/36V/48V Step Down to 5v 3A(MAX) Power Supply Module MICRO USB OUTPUT
$12.00 - Prime Shipped
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R5 ... UTF8&psc=1

I have this one on order in quantity of 2 to test.

DC DC Step Down Power Supply Module Buck Regulated Board 2A Input 8-55V Output 3.3V/5V/9V/12V A04 Electronic DIY PCB (5V)
$3.22 - 2-4 weeks delivery
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W9 ... UTF8&psc=1

There are versions for 12v, 9v, 5v and 3.3v fixed output. Most of the other buck converters I saw and tried had issues with the potentiometer. It seemed like the result of over-voting caused the screw to stop working. I would dial 40v down to 5v add a load (200ma Arduino Nano) and the voltage would suddenly drop to 1 volt. Turning the screw to dial the voltage up would now take 100 turns compared to the 3 turns before. Thats about the time I would smell burning and see a puff of smoke and disconnect my Arduino. Many of these fail by passing wide open volts to the Arduino. Many seem to 'forget' the voltage you've dialed in after they've been with out power for a while and just pass the full voltage through. Not exactly a risk I want to take when I've traveled 5 miles from home with a 45lb scooter. That said, I seem to be the only one who had issues and many other people say the bucks have been working great. I wish I could get my bucks prime shipped for ~$1.50 each
I have now set up about 50-75 unlock devices using variations of the step downs like the ones above. I have had only three units not work and fail safe. I hade one unit not fail safe and ended its short life with a violent spark and puff pf smoke. Guessing that I blew a cap inside and dont think I reversed polarity. All the others have been champs. In expensive, reliable, durable. I have tried several variations from several vendors. All rated 7-50v did well.

No they's no gps in the big , removable battery yo[…]

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]