An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Covers electric scooter models whether shared or for consumers.
By Richie2502
I have a Lime gen 4 recovered from a storage unit clearance, (it has no GPS box on the front ) ive read some of the posts about getting this model back in use , can someone give me a run down of the latest info , where to buy the new motor controller , how to remove the battery is this acheivable for someone with only basic elrctronics knowlege ?

By Jnsystems
Richie2502 wrote:I have a Lime gen 4 recovered from a storage unit clearance, (it has no GPS box on the front ) ive read some of the posts about getting this model back in use , can someone give me a run down of the latest info , where to buy the new motor controller , how to remove the battery is this acheivable for someone with only basic elrctronics knowlege ?
Hi,
To get anything working, try to take off the battery latch on the thing. There are ways to do so, either by cutting the back of the frame and manually releasing the latch, or (untested) shoving a slim jim or a piece of metal between the battery and the black frame holder and releasing it as the metal latch on the back is holding it together. The latest info here seems unclear, you can get a universal motor controller with at least 500W 36-48V and get it to work. Just like any others, we have to figure out which wires goes to throttle, hall sensors, motor wires, charging, and back wheel. For the battery, either a new BMS is needed or 2 wires need to be bypassed.
I'm working on the Lime Gen 4.1 S, an example is shown below but it was vandalized when the image was taken.
Image Image
By Richie2502
Someone on YouTube claims that putting 5-12 v DC to the wires to the battery lock opens it but that doesn't work on mine.
By Jnsystems
Richie2502 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:52 pm
Someone on YouTube claims that putting 5-12 v DC to the wires to the battery lock opens it but that doesn't work on mine.
Yes, The Youtube Channel Starting with the word Sherlock Ohms, I watched his videos, but isn't very helpful there. When I send in 9 Volts through the connection, nothing happened. I tried every single combination that I can think of on a spare latch and it did not work. That is due to the thing using CAN BUS Protocol or similar, therefore correct data (key) needs to be sent to the latch (lock) in order for the microcontroller to process the data and unlock the latch. I got myself in through the bottom, there is a white nub, just grinding a medium sized square does the work, but if possible I should have slim jim it, but I will try that when I have a chance to see if that works. I might also try a soda can and see if that works too.
Edited Again: Slim Jim And Soda can didn't work on my end because the gap is too small and the latch is shielded.

So what I know, is:
[*] A 14S BMS should be used on the new batteries, but there is currently no wiring diagram or step by step for wiring the 14S to the chunkier batteries.
[*] Mine Current Project is a Lime Gen 4.1, So some functions may differ than Gen 4.0 but is relatively the same.
[*] To Remove AND Reuse their Proprietary Screws on the wheels, Purchase and Use an IRWIN 3/4" - 19mm Extractor Socket as it doesn't cost that much.
[*] Their Motor, Just like the Bird 3, is garbage, consider purchasing your own universal brushless motor from a reputable source. Just make sure the dimensions of the universal motor fits into the baseboard of the scooter.
[*] I am still figuring what is throttle, brakes, hall wires, motor wires, etc and it is taking a while on my end, so gotta get my multimeter out if needed.
[*] Since the scooter is missing some hall wires, external mods may be needed to the back wheel to prevent overloading the throttle and allowing the scooter to handle steep hills and/or two-three people. If you don't want external mods, I would recommend putting a resistor to the throttle connections (Blue) to not overload the scooter and make it shut off.
[*] Most of the learning on my ends comes from modifying the Bird 3, so check that out and apply the concept to this scooter.
(Edited: You can even have a setup where a switch can control flow to two separate resistors. One is normal speeds of 20-25 mph, or city speeds of max 12-15 mph.)
[*] Charging is different when their BMS is replaced with one from aliexpress, so figure that out and make sure it's wired right, where I have next to zero electrical knowledge to know, but I know how to strip, solder, and cut wires.
[*] Since the gen 4.0 and onwards, their batteries are swappable, so carry more to increase total scooter runtime.

If you have specific further inquires feel free to pm me. I hope this helps those that need it so those can return the favor and make e-scooters great again.
By Richie2502
Looks like it's beyond my capabilities, electronics are not my thing, metal working is, i dont have the time to do this project which would need hours of study and experiment. It would be esier for me to convert it to petrol engine drive than get into the electronics.

I might use the battery pack as a power bank if I can get it off, the scooter was free anyway so I've lost nothing.
By Jnsystems
Richie2502 wrote:Looks like it's beyond my capabilities, electronics are not my thing, metal working is, i dont have the time to do this project which would need hours of study and experiment. It would be esier for me to convert it to petrol engine drive than get into the electronics.

I might use the battery pack as a power bank if I can get it off, the scooter was free anyway so I've lost nothing.
I know you don't have the time to invest to get the 4.1 up, but If you wanted the battery, just shove something between the battery and the case and maybe it would pop the latch out. I never done that, because I just angle grind the bottom open and take out some screws holding the latch together and manually released it. If you wish I can show you through DMs.

Also retrieved two more abandoned battery packs (old) yesterday lol, I already had enough scooters, only wanted a gen 4.1. The scooters abandoned came with the old batteries pre-unlatched from the case. Thx those who managed to did it while I am so stumped...
Saw Ppl riding the black gen swappable 4.0 in the train station platform way out of the service area, thumbs up to them.
Also props to those that tried to innovate...
Image Image
By Richie2502
Is there a clear path to a shim the battery latch open on these or is it shielded ?
By Jnsystems
Richie2502 wrote:Is there a clear path to a shim the battery latch open on these or is it shielded ?
I have not seen a clear path to get it to open, however I don't know how others managed to get it open without any damage, it looks like they attack it from the top, but sometimes people can just find the juice boxes wide open, literally just grab and go. That is my method and I already have so many to test and ride with. Now it's just me figuring out how to install the BMS properly and wire everything up.
By Jevako030
Jnsystems wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:28 pm
Richie2502 wrote:Is there a clear path to a shim the battery latch open on these or is it shielded ?
I have not seen a clear path to get it to open, however I don't know how others managed to get it open without any damage, it looks like they attack it from the top, but sometimes people can just find the juice boxes wide open, literally just grab and go. That is my method and I already have so many to test and ride with. Now it's just me figuring out how to install the BMS properly and wire everything up.
Hi Hi,
everything you want to know has already been found out and is all described in the other Lime forum.
Remove battery, replace BMS, Hall sensors.
Everything is described in detail there. So if you read it first, you will know everything and you will have answers to all your questions. That guy with that Youtube channel just does something and says things that are not true at all.

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few i[…]

Hej Guys got my hands on this double battery pac[…]

As this was a rental version whos overstock was ev[…]

This last transistor needs to be soldered. https:[…]