An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Covers electric scooter models whether shared or for consumers.
By jaysonjehsen
@SiameseMoms, if you follow Samzone's instructions, you'll be pretty set. Other things you'll need to have in general to do this are: Once you get a donor scooter, unscrew the torx screws underneath the top sticker/decal in the console between the handlebars. locate and unscrew the GPS/cellular dashboard. remove/destroy the SIM card in the board. Unplug the wire harness connection between that board and the cable that runs down through a black epoxy'd hole to the neck tube of the scooter. It should be like 10-12 wires in a bundle. Unplug the Li-Po battery on the board. you can toss that board away and recycle the Li-Po battery (it's pretty big capacity-- use it in a later project!). Then, unplug the cables with special orange/blue male/female connections and save those for soldering later-- as shown in samzone's video. That's all you'll need to prep the top of the scooter. Save all the screws and try to remember where they all came from so you can close everything back together at the end.

For the bottom of the scooter, there are around 10 torx security screws on the bottom lip that runs around the deck of the scooter, oriented to screw up (the heads to unscrew are facing down). Unscrew all of those, being careful to also unscrew the ones near the kickstand. Then carefully lift the deck up off the bottom of the scooter, and disconnect the orange connection cable to the brake light. Then, you have full access to the bottom of the scooter to replace the motor controller. At that point, you'll be at where samzone's video begins, and you'll need to do the soldering/connecting to the proper places as samzone shows so elegantly in his video.

If i missed anything @samzone let us know!
By SiameseMoms
jaysonjehsen wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:10 am
@SiameseMoms, if you follow Samzone's instructions, you'll be pretty set. Other things you'll need to have in general to do this are: Once you get a donor scooter, unscrew the torx screws underneath the top sticker/decal in the console between the handlebars. locate and unscrew the GPS/cellular dashboard. remove/destroy the SIM card in the board. Unplug the wire harness connection between that board and the cable that runs down through a black epoxy'd hole to the neck tube of the scooter. It should be like 10-12 wires in a bundle. Unplug the Li-Po battery on the board. you can toss that board away and recycle the Li-Po battery (it's pretty big capacity-- use it in a later project!). Then, unplug the cables with special orange/blue male/female connections and save those for soldering later-- as shown in samzone's video. That's all you'll need to prep the top of the scooter. Save all the screws and try to remember where they all came from so you can close everything back together at the end.

For the bottom of the scooter, there are around 10 torx security screws on the bottom lip that runs around the deck of the scooter, oriented to screw up (the heads to unscrew are facing down). Unscrew all of those, being careful to also unscrew the ones near the kickstand. Then carefully lift the deck up off the bottom of the scooter, and disconnect the orange connection cable to the brake light. Then, you have full access to the bottom of the scooter to replace the motor controller. At that point, you'll be at where samzone's video begins, and you'll need to do the soldering/connecting to the proper places as samzone shows so elegantly in his video.

If i missed anything @samzone let us know!
i am not aware of what soldering you are talking about, i dont see anywhere in the video, just him splicing wires together, also i am wondering if you still need to "flash" the board or do any software related things to make it fully functional.
thanks for the reply
By jaysonjehsen
@SiameseMoms Samzone doesn't show soldering because he is trying to show you what wire touches what as fast as possible, and it's assumed you'll have have something more permanent to connect them and protect wires from crossing. I don't think you will get very far without soldering some of the wires together, and protecting them from shorting on each other. Suit yourself though, this is pretty standard electrical work and it's common sense to solder permanent connections and use heat shrink to protect them. Without it, you could burn out your controller, or worse, battery and motor too... up to you lmao. Not trying to belittle you but like have you ever done any electric work before?

His setup does not use any replacement dashboard as shown in other "hacks" like for the M365 or ES model scooters. It replaces the actual motor controller found in the deck of the scooter, NOT the dashboard found in the box on the handlebars. You won't have a dashboard other than the speedometer attached to the handlebars (which comes with the motor controller he linked that you'll need to get for this method). This motor controller doesn't have any special "flashing," it works out of the box-- plug and play.
Last edited by jaysonjehsen on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By samzone
jaysonjehsen wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:57 pm
How'd you learn to use the universal controller? Is there a manual or instructions when it comes to electric bike/scooter motor controllers? I'd like to learn myself sometime!
there is a manual that help you alittle but most of the way i use a little of reading searching and a little of common sense and i did it i going to make a video today to show how to program the controller kit

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]