An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Discuss the Segway Ninebot ES and Ninebot Max Kick Scooter in this Forum. Topics include the Segway-Ninebot app, hardware, street riding, etc.
joeyfreshwater wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:26 pm
disregard, i figured it out. now sure how but i got it flashed
I had that problem and it came down to a bad connection. First I had one of the leads hooked to the wrong location and didnt notice, it took longer than id like to admit to find that stupid mistake :D The second time I had poor solder connection. If you werent soldering to the pads, its possible the conformal layer over the contacts was causing a poor connection.
Thanks for the Tutorial it was flawless... i just sent over a beer donation!

one question.. after firmware flash whats the max speed your seeing? i still seem to be stuck around 19 mph max... but with way more torque and my error 27 is not gone... whats the max i should be expecting after maxing it out in the firmware flash?

Thanks,
19mph is the fastest a stock max will go.
PlandyPedals wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:32 pm
Thanks for the Tutorial it was flawless... i just sent over a beer donation!

one question.. after firmware flash whats the max speed your seeing? i still seem to be stuck around 19 mph max... but with way more torque and my error 27 is not gone... whats the max i should be expecting after maxing it out in the firmware flash?

Thanks,
I have a SP!N.
I flashed the dashboard pins successfully.
The android flash won't fully go when i connect to scooter. (gives the multiple errors message everytime) Also shows ERROR code 32 in the XIAOFLASH app.

When dash isnt and is connected scooter had the rear tail light slow blinking and the wheel is giving resistance from freely spinning. The dash shows 00s and blinks 1 red bar (symptom of error 32?)
Does this mean I still need to flash battery pack and/or control module? or something else thanks!
UnicycleSanta,

Sent you a $10 donation from finan...@gmail.com, thanks for posting this!

Also, could you update your post, it's missing some critical info:

For ERROR 27 after wiring everything back together, when flashing custom firmware, must turn on "Bypass Ninebot BMS requirement" in the custom firmware website. You did not cover this, and it took me almost an hour to figure out.

My scooter was a SPIN, however this should apply to all scooters where it has the stock dashboard, and no custom hardware. Instead, it has a oval black box in the front of the scooter with the segway logo. For these scooter (including SPIN), NO RE-WIRING IS NEEDED. Do note: the front box contains a cellular connection + GPS.

SPIN scooters use a weird pentagon security screw. I couldn't find a matching set of screwdrivers online. Instead, just use a dremel to cut a slot, and then use a flathead screwdriver to remove. Except for the front black box, that was a lot of cutting through plastic with a dremel.

SPIN ninebot max scooter seems to have a different BMS. specifically, it doesn't have that rainbow group of wires. I didn't flash the firmware for BMS, because I wasn't sure if it was compatible or if it'd break stuff. BMS flash didn't seem necessary, because everything works fine, no errors. UPDATE: the BMS for Spin scooters since mid 2020 now will shut down if you only flash the ESC/BLE. Symptom is that you ride the scooter for a few seconds and it loses power and the dashboard shuts down. Fix might be to flash the BMS, but I'm not 100% sure.

the ESC download is not listed in the "required materials" section. but you do have a direct link. but it made me confused for a while trying to figure out if I had missed a step.

ESC, when programming, it says " Memory programmed in ___seconds", but then it says:
01:00:04 : Disconnected from device.
01:00:04 : Connection to device is lost: check power supply and debug connection.
01:00:04 : If the target is in low power mode, please enable "Debug in Low Power mode" option from Target->settings menu.

^ those 3 lines were concerning to me, so I re-programmed with verification. anyways, I think it was fine, as long as it said "Memory programmed..." then it worked. I think it was reset after programming, which is why it disconnected.

For the ESC, it PROBABLY DOES NOT need any power supply. You only need 3 lines, and that's it.
But if you get "can not connect to target", then you'll probably need a 5V connection to the bottom 3rd pin, or your soldering job sucks. Try connecting 5v (from the st-link to the 3rd pin from bottom, on this connector), to the 3rd pin in the red circle in image: https://i.imgur.com/olWuWHV.jpg

If that still doesn't work, and you still get 'can not connect to target', then check out: https://bit.ly/2D8B2M0, which references this picture incase the other one got deleted: https://i.imgur.com/9HknAS5.jpg

For the custom firmware website, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use it, it asks to enter some firmware. It took me a few minutes to figure out that I was supposed to click "HERE" to go to the old classic firmware generator. Instead, you could update your post to directly link to: https://max.scooterhacking.org/classic
Last edited by Yoli2 on Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]