An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Discuss the Segway Ninebot ES and Ninebot Max Kick Scooter in this Forum. Topics include the Segway-Ninebot app, hardware, street riding, etc.
By benhall847
Mattr567 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:18 pm
benhall847 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:16 pm
Take the Lyft connector, and carefully cut it with a hot knife.
Try not to reveal the metal near the red wire as this could cause the controller to short when plugged in.

(cut closer to the black wire if needed, though you should be able to sneak through the middle of both of them)

With a sharp knife, shave off the plastic guiding grooves and clip to make a flat connector.

Connect your new connector where the original STOCK MAX dashboard connects. (reference previous posts)

Now, splice the home-made connector with a female m365 dashboard cable - you want to color code the m365 cable to match the photo of the STOCK MAX dashboard.
I wonder perhaps on the lyft vs stock max controller, try wiring the new dash in by wire colors not pin locations like you tried here. Clearly the controller isn't the same as the stock Max so I think that's worth a shot. AKA use the black wire in its original lyft location, but match it to the black wire on the Pro dash etc.

Wait.... "Clearly the controller isn't the same as the stock Max so I think that's worth a shot." ...
It is the EXACT SAME as a stock max controller... How is it so clear they are different??

Also -- THIS WAS ATTEMPTED ALREADY - if you read this thread, EVERYONE FRIED THEIR DASHBOARDS attempting what you suggest.
This is exactly WHY I posted those photos, so you wouldn't go and fry your dashboard.

This is the ONLY WAY a stock dashboard has been successfully connected to a Lyft controller.
By Mattr567
benhall847 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:57 am
Wait.... "Clearly the controller isn't the same as the stock Max so I think that's worth a shot." ...
It is the EXACT SAME as a stock max controller... How is it so clear they are different??

Also -- THIS WAS ATTEMPTED ALREADY - if you read this thread, EVERYONE FRIED THEIR DASHBOARDS attempting what you suggest.
This is exactly WHY I posted those photos, so you wouldn't go and fry your dashboard.

This is the ONLY WAY a stock dashboard has been successfully connected to a Lyft controller.
Wait, oops I didn't realize that, sorry :oops:

Well clearly it's different in some way if we wire it the same as a retail unit like you did, and it still doesn't work :| Lyft were the ones who added that wire in the M365 that fried dashboards as well, but that was easy to remove. There must be something we're still missing since the motor didn't unlock with the retail style wiring setup you tried.

Opening a retail and Lyft max side by side would be the easiest way to figure out this missing difference, I think. Unless the motor didn't unlock because you used an M365 Pro dash, and not an original Max dash and the issue is on that side.
By Mattr567
Also from rereading the thread, it seems the Spin Max's are 4 pin stock, and come with a dash?

It seems instead of throwing a box on top like Lyft and modding the wiring accordingly, the Spin has a box mounted on the pole. Has anyone got any more info on how the Spins are done up? This should make the Spins easier to convert, I wonder how those are wired to the controller ;)

Nutnbutscootn wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:19 pm
I also have one from spin and its 4 pin
By benhall847
Mattr567 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:25 pm
benhall847 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:57 am

Wait, oops I didn't realize that, sorry :oops:

Well clearly it's different in some way if we wire it the same as a retail unit like you did, and it still doesn't work :| Lyft were the ones who added that wire in the M365 that fried dashboards as well, but that was easy to remove. There must be something we're still missing since the motor didn't unlock with the retail style wiring setup you tried.

Opening a retail and Lyft max side by side would be the easiest way to figure out this missing difference, I think. Unless the motor didn't unlock because you used an M365 Pro dash, and not an original Max dash and the issue is on that side.
Just dont want ya to fry your board.

So my research shows this is a common issue with the segway rentals.
The controller is locked and needs to be unlocked or replaced.
Simply changing a dashboard in many scooters is not enough to unlock it, I believe only the m365s were that easy..
(Though i would first want to try a stock MAX dashboard first as you suggest)
By benhall847
Mattr567 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:57 pm
Also from rereading the thread, it seems the Spin Max's are 4 pin stock, and come with a dash?

It seems instead of throwing a box on top like Lyft and modding the wiring accordingly, the Spin has a box mounted on the pole. Has anyone got any more info on how the Spins are done up? This should make the Spins easier to convert, I wonder how those are wired to the controller ;)

Nutnbutscootn wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:19 pm
I also have one from spin and its 4 pin
This was already posted,
Spins controller uses all 7 pins, same controller.

I believe segway made a single multi-use controller to be used by all companies & consumers.
By Mattr567
benhall847 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Simply changing a dashboard in many scooters is not enough to unlock it, I believe only the m365s were that easy..
Understandable haha.

So it seems the locking is a type of security feature, like an immobilizer for a car? When a new unknown controller is detected. Unless yeah its something with it needing to see a genuine Max dash.
benhall847 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:16 pm
This was already posted,
Spins controller uses all 7 pins, same controller.

I believe segway made a single multi-use controller to be used by all companies & consumers.
Ah, so I bet those extra pins go to the side pole box. But dash side its all 4 pin unlike Lyft, and probably has a retail-like hookup to the original dash the Spin keeps. Still the scooter of choice to convert imo based off this.

If the unlocking is an issue like you mention, then maybe the Spins will work since you (seem to) retain the original dash and controller, but delete the side pole box and leave the 4 "retail" pins out of all the 7 used that go to the dash.
By tester4321
Isaac1904 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:26 pm
Stradonitz wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:43 pm
Hi, would anyone know where the SDIO CLK VCC and GROUND connectors are on the ninebot max dashboard?
if i leave the 5v connector out then it able to connect to the computer but stm32 isn't able to detect to connect itit. when i solder the 5v on then its doesn't work . did this works for you?
By benhall847
Mattr567 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:41 pm
benhall847 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Understandable haha.

So it seems the locking is a type of security feature, like an immobilizer for a car? When a new unknown controller is detected. Unless yeah its something with it needing to see a genuine Max dash.
yeah, the stock m365 dashboard will turn on but, and connect to bluetooth but no app recognizes the scooter (though i forgot to try segways app.. lol)
My "hopeful" idea is that the m365 dashboard and the MAX use different codes to connect and unlock the controller
and "hopefully" the MAX stock dashboard can unlock it...

I have a friend who ordered a MAX dashboard.. we'll find out soon if we need the controller too.
By Mattr567
benhall847 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:20 pm
yeah, the stock m365 dashboard will turn on but, and connect to bluetooth but no app recognizes the scooter (though i forgot to try segways app.. lol)
My "hopeful" idea is that the m365 dashboard and the MAX use different codes to connect and unlock the controller
and "hopefully" the MAX stock dashboard can unlock it...

I have a friend who ordered a MAX dashboard.. we'll find out soon if we need the controller too.
I see. Progress is definitely being made!

Spin wise, I imagine you just delete the side pole box, rewire the stock 4 pin dash to retail style and it should just work - hopefully :| If it does work this way, then the Spin would be able to be converted without having to buying any parts! ;)
By Scootingxiv303
I tried that on the spin scooter wire it exactly like the photo of stock max .you can push out the oin with a sharpen paper clip or small lo pointy tweezers push back in any order .how can I test to see what the other two wires go to purple and white .I want to try n put in other empty slots but dont want to fry anything. I tried to turn on with oem m365 pro dashboard turns on only on D then turns off.bluetooth connects but only if u hold button down and stays on waiting on scooter when you connect on esdowng app.have not tryd segway app yet and even tryd with orginal es4 dashboard does nothing.if any one knows what the other wires are so mayb try to use somewhere else .if posted my apologies must of passed by it .thanks everyone.

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]