An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Discuss the Segway Ninebot ES and Ninebot Max Kick Scooter in this Forum. Topics include the Segway-Ninebot app, hardware, street riding, etc.
By EddieR
Hi, I got a SEGWAY NINEBOT ES4 scooter from the VOI operator.

At first, I wanted to get the external battery and put it on an ES2 model that I will buy ; but I heard that the batteries from scooters in free floating had S/N to prevent this.

I removed the box in a front of the scooter, connected to the controller and containing the GPS. Currently, the LCD shows the error 32 (communication IoT failed).

So, I want to know what I need to change to use the scooter personally (dashboard, controller or 2?).
There are many different topics on this subject but I want to know which solution is the best.

Thank you for your answer
Last edited by EddieR on Wed May 22, 2019 7:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
By EddieR
What is the best solution which works?
Buy clone controler and clone dashboard?
Buy just a controler and try to flash the VOI dashboard with STLINK?
Buy original controler and original dashboard?
By PLEE
clone parts not oem, any issues possibly...
I have reflashed mine, didnt buy anything. Its not voi, but seems similar. To reflash controller was easy, but dash very complicated, needs some serious skills.
As i see you have es2 working one? if yes, simply share dash- all handlebar- its 4 screws and one wire, disconnect gps module, get firmware here: https://ninebot.scooterhacking.org/ (dont change anythin, just mark all pach, if you not sure what are doing, download firmware to your phone), install ESdownG app, and flash. if everything goes well - congrats, you dont need to buy controller
By EddieR
PLEE wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:11 am
clone parts not oem, any issues possibly...
I have reflashed mine, didnt buy anything. Its not voi, but seems similar. To reflash controller was easy, but dash very complicated, needs some serious skills.
As i see you have es2 working one? if yes, simply share dash- all handlebar- its 4 screws and one wire, disconnect gps module, get firmware here: https://ninebot.scooterhacking.org/ (dont change anythin, just mark all pach, if you not sure what are doing, download firmware to your phone), install ESdownG app, and flash. if everything goes well - congrats, you dont need to buy controller

I haven’t bought the ES2 yet. I was thinking buying it only if I can use the external battery of the VOI scooter’s to plug it on, but people told me that’s not possible because even the batteries have S/N security.
So today, I have only an ES4 from VOI fleet. How can I use it personally?
Just change the dashboard by a OEM? I removed the box with the GPS connected to the controller at the front of the scooter. There is the error 32 (IoT communication failed), so I think I also need to change the controller no?
You say that is simple to reflash controler... how?
By PLEE
1. You need working oem dash. (your has modified firmware for voi - disabled or limited bluetooth, other settings...)
its possible to reflash oem firmware with stlink programmer soldered directly to controller io , heres about it:
https://scootertalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2563
seems similar like i did, some info is in scooterhacking org. Thats the best , cheapest solution, needs stlink programmer, some skills, and pc, better windows os with telnet enabled.
or
buy OEM dash, best too, but not cheapest.
or
buy china clone dash, but if somehing goes wrong, you never know, its because of china fake, or something else...

2. then you have oem dash, everything goes easy - take phone, install ESdownG, go to scooterhacking, download firmware, flash by bluetooth and enjoy! Someone told here that on birds it not works, but i think most cases works
By PLEE
Im not sure about batteries sn, maybe bms can be reflashed, sn changed? its possible to controllers sn, maybe pair this way. never did it.

Im searching for bms (or cheap internal battery), mine just died... maybe someone has idea
Messaging in here to stay notified. Was able to successfully using a dashboard to get one Bird to work. When the motor blew out on it I switched it to another bird. It powers up, screen displays properly, and bluetooth turns on. But it can no longer pair with any app, still trying to figure what I can do.
By PLEE
andrewelick wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 pm
Messaging in here to stay notified. Was able to successfully using a dashboard to get one Bird to work. When the motor blew out on it I switched it to another bird. It powers up, screen displays properly, and bluetooth turns on. But it can no longer pair with any app, still trying to figure what I can do.
Flash controller. Or swith it too
By EddieR
PLEE wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:15 pm
1. You need working oem dash. (your has modified firmware for voi - disabled or limited bluetooth, other settings...)
its possible to reflash oem firmware with stlink programmer soldered directly to controller io , heres about it:
https://scootertalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2563
seems similar like i did, some info is in scooterhacking org. Thats the best , cheapest solution, needs stlink programmer, some skills, and pc, better windows os with telnet enabled.
or
buy OEM dash, best too, but not cheapest.
or
buy china clone dash, but if somehing goes wrong, you never know, its because of china fake, or something else...

2. then you have oem dash, everything goes easy - take phone, install ESdownG, go to scooterhacking, download firmware, flash by bluetooth and enjoy! Someone told here that on birds it not works, but i think most cases works
I think that if I change juste the dashboard and not the controller, I will not be able to use the scooter because I have the error 32 (IoT communication failed), and the IoT module was connected to the controller...
What do yo think?

PLEE wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:00 am
andrewelick wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 pm
Flash controller. Or swith it too
How would one flash the controller?

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]