An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Discuss the Segway Ninebot ES and Ninebot Max Kick Scooter in this Forum. Topics include the Segway-Ninebot app, hardware, street riding, etc.
Is your Ninebot ES4 limited on speed? Learn how to hack the firmware to unlock the speed of your Segway ES4 or ES2 electric scooter.

After upgrading an auctioned ES4 with a replacement dashboard, the scooter works and connects to the app but it will not switch modes when you double-tap the button.

Doing so just toggles the light, and whenever you turn on the light it activates the speed limit!

It does not however alter the LCD display which always shows the red-S indicating sport mode whether the speed is limited or not.

FYI the default functionality is a single-tap activates the light and a double-tap changes modes from Limit-mode (no S), regular-mode (blue S) and sport-mode (red S)

So now if anyone wants to use the scooter they cannot activate the light or it will cut the max speed in half.

Any idea how to fix this? Firmware has already been updated to latest.

Thanks
Sounds like you're on the home stretch to get this scooter working perfectly. Were you able to re-flash the firmware? Sounds like Bird has some funky code on the control board.

Replacing the control board with an original should fix the issue but will cost more waiting time and money.

Control Board For Ninebot Segway ES2 ES4 ES1 Foldable Scooter
Yes, the firmware flash brought it up to the latest according to the segway app.

I had heard that the Bird segways were not using modified controller boards like the Lime segways do. I guess that is incorrect.

I think it would be easier to just install a manual switch to connect the headlight to. Its not worth more than doubling the cost of the upgrade just to get the dashboard control of the headlight working.

So it looks like it is confirmed that the Bird segway ES-X conversion is a simple circuitboard swap much like the M365, unless you want a working headlight or need the ability to use non sport-mode.

Oddly turning on the headlight doesn't actually activate limit mode as I had suspected; the red S is still present and when I turn the limit mode down to the minimum setting in the app the max speed does not change when the headlight is turned on. Also the LCD seems to dim as if there is a power drain somewhere.

I guess for now I will use my Xiaomi when I need to ride at night and I will use this one when I need to go up a hill in daylight- it has slightly better torque.
rmnhsd wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm
After upgrading an auctioned ES4 with a replacement dashboard, the scooter works and connects to the app but it will not switch modes when you double-tap the button.

Doing so just toggles the light, and whenever you turn on the light it activates the speed limit!

It does not however alter the LCD display which always shows the red-S indicating sport mode whether the speed is limited or not.

FYI the default functionality is a single-tap activates the light and a double-tap changes modes from Limit-mode (no S), regular-mode (blue S) and sport-mode (red S)

So now if anyone wants to use the scooter they cannot activate the light or it will cut the max speed in half.

Thanks
Try this to get the red or white S. Change the speedometer to METRIC/kph and tell me if you get the Red S. And on imperial for mph the white S.
Hello,

Experiencing same issues!
did you get any resolution on this??? thinking about getting a new board so i can get that extra speed out of my birdy but not sure if its even a for sure fix.
the light on and slower speeds doesn't bug me, just not being able to switch modes.
rmnhsd wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm

Thanks

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]