An Electric Scooter Community on a Mission to Stamp out Transportation Mediocrity.

Help, tips, technique, and frequently asked questions.
By spacekadet
I have done what seems like logical troubleshooting to me and can't fix e-brake. Now asking for ideas...

Scooter: Patgear E5 36V

Problem: e-brake does not work (but mechanical brake does work)

Background: was working fine until I loaned the scooter to somebody heavier than me, and was probably ridden down a very steep hill.

The brake like still works. The motor cuts off when the brake is activated (stops drive power), which is normal.

Circuit
* 2 wire connection from brake switch to speed controller
* multi-wire connection from speed controller to power module
* 3-wire connection from power module to brake light
* other power and sensor connections from power module to motor

What I have done:
* replaced power module, no difference so I put the old one back
* replaced speed controller cable, no difference

My thoughts
* brake signal must be getting through to power module, because it cuts power to the motor and switches on the brake light
* I looked inside the power module and there does not seem to be any load resister, so I don't think the circuit works by using s shunting resister for braking.
* If there's not shunting resister, the power module probably just shorts the motor wires (it could be doing battery power regeneration but I doubt it, the scooter is 5 years old and not many have proper regenerative braking)

Please help me with suggestions about what to try next...

PS I posted this yesterday but it's not in the forum, so maybe I messed up or maybe waiting for moderation?

As this was a rental version whos overstock was […]

Any one got any info on beryl bikes I seen a few[…]

LH/ TF-100 Style Display.

Hi I recently converted a Bird Zero to a personal […]

How do you operate dash without button? I have[…]